High-performance clusters use powerful CPU’s and premium disks to deliver enhanced performance. Based on our performance tests (details below), our high-performance clusters on Azure deliver 4x the performance of our competition and 2x the performance of our standard clusters.
ScaleGrid now supports 'High Performance' MongoDB clusters on the Azure ARM platformClick To Tweet
High-Performance MongoDB: 3-Node Replica Set
Why do our clusters perform so much better? The high-performance MongoDB configuration on Azure uses a hybrid of local SSD and premium disks to achieve both high performance and high reliability. A typical configuration is deployed using a 3-node replica set.
- The Primary and the Secondary 1 use local SSD disks
- Secondary 2 uses an Azure Premium Disk
High Performance MongoDB 3-Node Replica Set
High performance clusters are offered in three configurations as detailed below, or found on our pricing page. If you are using the BYOC plan, the sizes can also be customized.
We ran detailed performance tests using YCSB to demonstrate the improved performance, and compared ScaleGrid Azure High Performance XLarge vs. ScaleGrid standard Azure XLarge vs. a competitor with an equivalent size. All configurations are similar with 14GB RAM, and were deployed in Azure region Australia Easy – Sydney.
|ScaleGrid High Performance
- 100 % Write workload (Workload A Load phase): Write 3 million records into the database at varied levels of loading by increasing the number of client threads from 4 going up to 64, doubling every time.
- 50 % Read/ 50% update workload (Workload A run phase): Run workload for 6 million operations at varying levels of loading by increasing the number of client threads from 4 going up to 64, doubling every time.
- With no RAID or premium SSD disks, the competitor’s performance is pretty low. It saturates its block storage at low loads and throughput remains almost flat throughout. CPU saturates completely at 16 threads. Latency growth is almost exponential.
- With RAID configured, the standard ScaleGrid Azure solution greatly outperforms the competitor as it’s throughput increases almost linearly with load. Latency numbers are also very low. This is expected with a RAID setup and a sequential workload. At their best, our standard Azure solution was more than 3 times better than the competitors!
- ScaleGrid Azure High Performance deployment with its premium disks outperforms the standard block storage. At it’s best, it is 5 times as fast the competitor’s solution, and about 1.4 times as fast as our standard solution.
If you need a high performance MongoDB cluster on Azure, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you get setup.